View Single Post
Old 16 Dec 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2600937)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Mazda is partially owned by Ford, notguilty, perhaps that has something to do with the choice.

I've found this forum thread with interesting quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rand (F2000 Championship Series Managing Director)
We did have a meeting with IRL officials in July at Watkins Glen but their insistance on including ovals pretty much ended the discussions. [...] while there is some enthusiasm for [the F2000CS] running the occasional oval, the discussions were pointed in that they, IRL, wanted at least half the season oval and half road courses. We chose to say thanks, but no thanks
Other difference between both championships is that the IRL wanted a spec series to reduce costs and focus on driver training (both driving and setup skills, I guess). The F2000CS is aimed at privateers who build the cars they drive, small parts providers and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Andersen (USF2000 National Championship CEO)
October 21st, 2009

As to the IRL, they do indeed want a ladder that includes some ovals, but at no time have they ever asked for, or demanded, any specific number. In fact, we will be doing two ovals in 2010, both under one mile in length, and that is likely the number we will do each year.
[...]
we will design our rules package to control the costs as much as is possible and thereby control the teams who seem willing to spend whatever it takes to win. [...] When my team ran F2000 in 2008, we ran "box-stock" Van Diemens without any of the aero updates that are out there, but if the competition forced us to, we would have had to spend the dollars to try everything for the sake of our customers. That's what I saw happen in the USF2000 series in the 1990's, and I won't let it happen again.
[...]
I am attempting to put together a program that will do what my series did in the 1990's, train drivers for Indy, and we will be the first step on the road to Indy Ladder.
Several posters wrote that SCCA cars are unsafe. Safer cars are more expensive, therefore cost cutting must be massive. Btw, note how he suggested the ladder's name so early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Andersen (USF2000 National Championship CEO)
We tried very hard to get Laguna in May, but we apparently couldn't fit on that one. Long Beach was never an option (though we would go there in a heartbeat) due to a completely full event and paddock, and Infineon was a real possibility except it fell on the same weekend as the Road America ALMS event, which was one we felt we eneded to include for a number of reasons.
Everyone wants to be at Long Beach. At least one sub-Lights formula series should make it in 2011. August is too crowded: Autobahn (31-1), Mid-Ohio (7-8), Trois-Rivières (14-15), Road America (21-22), Sears Point (21-22), Chicagoland (28-29). That's why the IRL can't go to Road America together with the ALMS.