View Single Post
Old 27 Feb 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3715098)   #3
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdchawk View Post
Hi,

I am currently looking at getting a newer larger estate car to replace my Astra, Most seem to be diesels and there are a lot of confusing talk at the moment as to whether diesel is to be bought or not due to new taxes and schemes.

Should a diesel be considered??

For ref - been looking at a Peugeot 308 SW as the boot space is massive!
Personally after thirty years of driving nothing but diesels I had decided never to buy another diesel before the recent change of stance on pollutants. Primarily for two reasons:

1. DPFs are the most unreliable component on just about any car and their introduction immediately dented the reliability and running costs of diesels.

2. Petrol engines (especially the electrics) have become so much more reliable that one of the major advantages of diesels (no ignition system to fail) is effectively gone.

It's also worth considering that whatever you think of the debate about the different kinds of pollution the govt and the mayor of London amongst other cities is clearly signalling that one or more of road tax, fuel duty and congestion charges will soon be increasing for diesel drivers.