Thread: IMSA Race Petit Le Mans
View Single Post
Old 10 Oct 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3773400)   #403
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Those are the braking markers, the adds are on the back. And yes, occasionally they're being taken out. It happens.
The offending signage at PLM were not braking markers though ... just sponsor ads.

I'd imagine the Sebring braking zone markers are made tough to survive winds and such ... they are pretty important particularly if it is raining, and having them blown away in a storm could have serious negative impact on safety.

Not saying they represent the best solution ... but in all my years of visiting Sebring, I have yet to see a fan hurt by debris from a braking marker.

Those sponsor ads, though ... corrugated plastic with printed paper, folded into triangular prisms and weighted with sand bags .... they get blown over by even moderate winds.

Not sure I have ever seen three collected and carried away in one race---maybe cars were going off at places the track management didn't expect.

For instance, until the recent repave, no one went off on driver's right at T5 at Atlanta ... apparently the new tarmac is sticky enough to let drivers take a different line, which occasionally leaves them wedged against the inside wall. (Se #52 PR1 P2 car.)

I have no clue, just spitting out ideas. Placement of those signs, as Akropovic notes, is based on TV camera angles, not potential car trajectories.