Thread: IMSA Race Petit Le Mans
View Single Post
Old 10 Oct 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3773409)   #405
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
The offending signage at PLM were not braking markers though ... just sponsor ads.

Those sponsor ads, though ... corrugated plastic with printed paper, folded into triangular prisms and weighted with sand bags .... they get blown over by even moderate winds.

Not sure I have ever seen three collected and carried away in one race---maybe cars were going off at places the track management didn't expect.

For instance, until the recent repave, no one went off on driver's right at T5 at Atlanta ... apparently the new tarmac is sticky enough to let drivers take a different line, which occasionally leaves them wedged against the inside wall. (Se #52 PR1 P2 car.)

I have no clue, just spitting out ideas. Placement of those signs, as Akropovic notes, is based on TV camera angles, not potential car trajectories.
Having gone to more than a few events at Road Atlanta, those signs are out for almost all IMSA sessions and are often taken out and kicked to the side of the track. Esp last year and the signs after 3, think the Minis took them out every Conti session. We were amazed it took until that late in the race for a single one to get hit, when the Corvette took it out that was the first sign removed at 3-4 all weekend. Think it was just an odd year for catching them just right, they all appeared to be in the usual locations so call it an anomaly and let it go. Two years in a row and a couple cautions maybe we have a talking point but this year? I think that's a bit of the I'm smarter than IMSA management coming through.