View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2353679)   #23
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius
Well, everything looks pretty good, except banning tire warmers(which are a safety measure), and refuelling, which is what makes races exciting. The idiocy of these two ideas astounds me. I can't understand why the FIA goes aroung unecessarily screwing up circuits by adding chicanes in the name of safety(a la Barcelona), but then goes an banns tire warmers, which leads to more accidents. Also, they say they are always looking for more overtaking, but they ban refueling. Don't they realise that for overtaking to take place you have to have cars running different speeds, and if you have straight up qualifying and no in race strategy, there is no opportunity to have slower cars in front of faster ones. So you end up with less passing.

Still, the changes could be much worse. Lets just hope they don't pick up medals system.
Refuelling means drivers can wait to overtake until their strategy allows it. I would have thought that was obvious, that is why it has been the subject of debate for so many years. It was introduced to try and spice up the racing, and as with most attempts, it failed.

Everyone uses just about the same strategy now anyway. Top 7 or so go for two-stoppers, everyone else fuels to half distance and hopes for the best. How is that interesting? I used to think it was interesting when the top teams had two, maybe three, alternatives, but that is not the case now.

Btw if everyone carries the same amount of fuel, surely no-one will need to do any fuel spotting?