Thread: CTE in Nascar
View Single Post
Old 5 Feb 2014, 03:12 (Ref:3364282)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He and other drivers with similar complaints, such as Ernie Irvan and Steve Park, don't know what the future holds.
These two found the hard concrete more than any others I have seen; I would be concerned too. The good news is that we are all more aware of it now and the cars and the tracks themselves are so much safer now even than a decade ago, much less in Dick and "Fast" Fred's day. See Dick Trickle's quote:
Quote:
Trickle said in an interview that he carried the pain of multiple crashes with him. "There were no soft walls in my time."
Its shame about Lorenzen, Gregg, LeeRoy Yarbrough and Trickle, but as a "former" athlete that has had at least 2 concussions myself, given the opportunity to step back on the field with or without a doctor's clearance, I would have done it in a heartbeat until I myself decided I had had enough; that came at age 20 for me, when I was tired of the pain and decided I wanted to be able to function a little bit once I got older.

More attention to this issue needs to be brought forth and sounds like NASCAR is doing something more than just covering their own ass.

Interesting read, JHammy. Thanks for posting and glad it doesn't keep the focus on one portion of the sport as this an issue in all facets of motorracing.