View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3802343)   #89
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Some seem to think that the Ogier move was sneaky, but I personally see it as a smart decision. And even if people do think it was underhand, I think it's daft that fingers are being pointed directly at Ogier. Do people really think he'd pull a trick like that without the approval of the team?

Four more points that he probably wouldn't have picked up without the late check in and a bit of damage limitation to what was otherwise a miserable weekend thanks to the running order. Some don't seem to like it, but I think it's the mark of a smart driver backed by a smart team. And smart drivers win Championships...
That's my take on it - what it boiled down was a simple "would you like some points or not?" decision. They would have been daft to do anything else - which leads us to:

Quote:
...very surprised that Citroen didn't tell Meeke to do the same thing. That said I just saw a post on another forum that said Meeke didn't hand his timecard in at the end of the rally, so apparently he can get a "free" engine for Mexico?
Whilst a "free" replacement engine is good I'd have thought it a bit early in the year to start pulling that one. Meeke has 1 more "free" extra engine - it doesn't take much to knacker an engine in a shunt and given Meekes recent track record I'd be keeping my "free" engines in my pocket for now.

Quote:
Great result for Breen, especially given the car he is driving.
Road position undeniably helped but it was still an impressive result - the Citroen does look to be the worst of the cars (the others seem quite well matched). Breen doesn't seem to be under as much pressure to get results as Meeke (I assume that's because he's only got a part season) and genuinely seemed to be enjoying himself out there - which is always good to see, sometimes you get the impression the pros are just doing a job but Breen does seem to take huge pleasure from it.