View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2024, 14:17 (Ref:4191587)   #5
JesperOH
Rookie

Denmark
JesperOH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new E28 BMW could well be the car Tom Walkinshaw was giving a go. Just realised that the BMW 528i was homologated for group 1 on April 1 1980 as A5792. An earlier 1976 homologation also existed for the model in question, while the 530i US goes back to 1977.

If it was a class A BMW that Tom was racing that day at Silverstone, it would likely have been numbered from 1-19, as class B started with #20 Win Percy.

The speculation that Walkinshaw might have set his sights on Rover for 1981 is interesting. Dave Price Racing was running the Rovers in 1980, but TWR would take over for 1981 and beyond. Why was Price, known for single seater racing, chosen to run the British Leyland BSCC effort in the first place. Was it Price who ran the Triumph Dolomite engined Unipart F3 cars?
Secondly what happened in the shift from Dave Price to TWR? Price opting out or Walkinshaw elbowing his way in?
As I understand it TWR also took over the class C Audi programme from Richard Lloyd racing for the 1981 season.

As for buying on the net, I no longer do that!

Jesper