View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3760764)   #658
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
was Williams getting b grade versions of the Renault PUs in 2012 & 2013 though? RB won those years and Williams were also pretty fairly trounced by a severely underfunded Lotus- Renault team as well.

and now with Merc power they still tended to get out classed by Force India (and i cant imagine that FI have a more favourable engine deal/upgrade schedule then Williams do).

anyways it's not that i disagree, but rather i think the bigger issue is budget size followed by how they spend their money.

even with access to the best engine, Williams, certainly, would struggle financially to maintain the development pace necessary to be competitive at the sharp end over an entire season.

plus these are large corporations now and no doubt subject to sprawling costs stemming from building up and supporting other departments/projects...something Force India by contrast doesnt have to deal with.

sad to say, but Williams and Mclaren are not the lean and mean racing enterprises they once were.

sort of an unrelated point, but i think FI is one of the most efficient teams in terms of points per dollar spent...i think if that team can get access to a new owner/full manu backing i could see them jumping to the sharp end more quickly then Williams or Mclaren getting back up there.
Williams throw a lot of bits at the car but they have bit of a history of not always working, something that Paddy Lowe is addressing. They also have consistently produced cars that are not effective on some circuits, I know that Williams are focused on their lack of budget compared to Ferrari and Red Bull, but I doubt that FI have a bigger budget than Williams, and probably quite a lot less, they seem leaner and keener and with a better driver line up. Perhaps Williams is held back by keeping a big team mentality on small team budgets? And I speak as a long time Williams fan and follower!