View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3014126)   #94
LordDigital
Rookie

LordDigital should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The equivalency factor always confused me a little, not in terms of what cars it was applied to, but why it changed from 1.4 to 1.7 between 1987 and 1988?

I'm just wondering if there had been some lobbying from a manufacturer that may have been penalised under the old level or something, but then again if a cars capacity was marginal at, say, the Class A, B engine size cut off point of 3000cc, you would rather your car go up against an M3 than an RS500 if it was a 'cc' thing.

On the other hand, nothing could touch either of those cars in their respective classes, at least not in Europe.

Just thought's for discussion as it might be relevant to the Supra!!
I guess it is more like general FIA policy towards "banning the turbo" - remember 1 year earlier in 87 they limited the boost pressure to 4.5barr in formula1 and increased the atmo engines there to 3500cc ,and then in 1988 they limited the boost yet again to 2.0 and the turbo formulas were still faster - finally our french friends completely banned the turbo. Perhaps they had plans for GroupA and wanted to also see less turbocharged cars ,I can't imagine the amount of Lag of a Turbocharged RS00 running 2.5+ barrs of boost with power levels north of 600bhp!