View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2012, 17:15 (Ref:3014184)   #95
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The equivalency factor always confused me a little, not in terms of what cars it was applied to, but why it changed from 1.4 to 1.7 between 1987 and 1988?

I'm just wondering if there had been some lobbying from a manufacturer that may have been penalised under the old level or something, but then again if a cars capacity was marginal at, say, the Class A, B engine size cut off point of 3000cc, you would rather your car go up against an M3 than an RS500 if it was a 'cc' thing.
I don't know about lobbying, but the big losers under the change were Alfa- 1762cc x 1.4= 2466, so safely in the 2.5 litre class. 1762cc x 1.7 =2995, firmly in the 'big' class and up against the Sierras.
Combine that with a rule change meaning that the turbocars had to run their standard homologated intercooler, and the 75 Turbo was out of International Group A....
It would have made more sense perhaps for the FIA to shift the class break from 2.5 to 3 litres, (IIRC the BTCC did just that?), as it would have made it possible both for Alfa to continue, and Bemani to drop down to the 'middle' class and race against the M3s as you suggest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDigital View Post
I often forget about the 1.4x factor (I always multiple by 1.7).Do you know if the 1.7x rule was applied for the calendar 1988 ,starting Jan-1-1988? Following the 1.7x rule ,Supra turbo will be 2954.2 x 1.7 = 5022.14 cc or 1400KG -> it would've been madness for RAS to use turbo cars in 1988.

Also on the weight subject ,are we sure that the "frank_de_jong" link that you gave me has the correct displacement to minimum weight relation table? ?
I think it was applied from the start of the '88 season, as the Alfa 75 Turbos disappeared from the series altogether- I can't swear to the accuracy of Frank's table, as I dont know the source of his information

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDigital View Post
I guess it is more like general FIA policy towards "banning the turbo" - remember 1 year earlier in 87 they limited the boost pressure to 4.5barr in formula1 and increased the atmo engines there to 3500cc ,and then in 1988 they limited the boost yet again to 2.0 and the turbo formulas were still faster - finally our french friends completely banned the turbo. Perhaps they had plans for GroupA and wanted to also see less turbocharged cars
As I remember, our French friends did indeed have plans for Group A- dropping it at international level in favour of Bernie's pet project- Procar...
http://classic2.alfisti.net/media/mo...ge/procar1.jpg