View Single Post
Old 7 Feb 2018, 23:37 (Ref:3799413)   #5414
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak Brown
“I think if you look at IMSA, you’ve got a good starting point sitting here with 20 cars on the grid. It feels to me that that should be the starting point of the conversation.”
What a ridiculous quote that is. You have 20 LMP2 cars for the biggest race of the season (once). ACO gets 25 LMP2 cars (every year) for their big race without the manufacturer crap screwing over privateers. Only 10 of those were DPi. Heck if he's going to put it that way, Le Mans this year will see 35 prototypes while Daytona had 20.

If manufacturer cars dominate the top 10 in qualifying and the early part of the race again at Sebring like they did at Daytona I'm not seeing that 20 number being matched next year anyways, it makes no sense for top tier teams to cross the ocean just to be cannon fodder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doonan
“I hope that everybody can come together in that kind of way because the actual execution of the racing programs is one thing but the way we market it and tell the story is the most important thing for this to continue to stay relevant.”
I'm dying. This is the kind of mindset that gets you the absolute worst sports car racing program on the planet for 5 years running.

Quote:
“Our colleagues in Japan are right in the middle of conversations with the FIA and ACO,” TRD President and General Manager David Wilson told Sportscar365.
Truly Earth shattering news from John Dagys that Toyota is involved in LMP1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I challenge you to think long and hard about what it is that you truly enjoy about the LMP1 category. If no one had told you much about them, you wouldn't know a difference between a Mazda Prototype and a Porsche prototype. All of this confusion about "high tech" is really dragging the category down.
I don't know about him, but what I like about LMP1 definitely isn't awful sub-par race cars that couldn't even beat a 15 year old Courage with a stock Chevy engine in the back in an endurance race if their life depended on it and look like they were designed for a lower class.

Getting rid of hybrids in endurance racing at this point would be as utterly asinine as when they forced out turbos for 3.5L F1 engines because those manufacturers were totally going to race in both championships. The technology matches the sport too well. Any kind of standardized hybrid system is just a joke though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Look how well the GTE class works with no hybrids.
Pretty terribly these days, actually.