View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2015, 12:51 (Ref:3508783)   #262
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Told you so.

I am not surprised at all by this. FIA wants to make LMP-2 into a cheap pro-am customer class—cheaper than it is now—to get the rich sportsmen and unfunded pros into the series, but doesn't want anything except P1 at the head of the class.

P2 has basically been a 'spec" class all along, as the engines are sealed and the bodywork homologated. When mention was made of a common tub, it was plain that FIA envisioned something between DTM and Formula Le Mans/PC—identical low-cost cars with minimum adjustability and identical (though I figured everyone would get to make their own) low-stress/low-output motors for even lower operating costs and everything simplified so privateers wouldn't complain too much.

Single-make spec engine is a way to get someone to pay the series for promotion—makes good business sense for FIA—because they have LMP-1.

My point all along has been that FIA really doesn't give a crap about P2 because all it has ever been is a low-cost, cost-capped, pseudo-spec class for rich businessmen. FIA has LMP-1 and GTE and the other classes are there to fill grids and pay entry fees.

This could kill TUSC, because U.S. fans would be stuck with essentially more DPs—low-tech spec cars where innovation is limited to livery and performance is fixed by the factory prior to sale. Of course, the folks at NASCAR probably think this will work just fine—after all, they have kept the DP around for a dozen years and apparently think it has always been just fine.

Here is another thought: NASCAR basically owns Coyote chassis, as far as I know, and only one American chassis maker is supposed to be one of the four.
There IS one way to bring TUSCC back up. It's sad, but it would also bring the prestige of Daytona, Sebring and Petit back.

They should dump prototypes all together. "Spec" and "Prototype" together is an Oxymoron. VIR demonstrated that a good competitive GT field with top manufacturers up front will sell races just fine. Without prototypes being ACTUAL prototypes I simply don't care about them (along with many other fans).

The GTE/GT Pro racing though...that has really grown on me.

Prototypes other than LMP-1....MEH