View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3658539)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
For a team to deliberately and publicly ruin one of its drivers race, would not be in their own best interests in the medium to long term, even if they could potentially see a short term benefit. They would very quickly create a divisive and toxic atmosphere within the team, which is not in their own best interests....
crashgate being an (extreme) example of exactly this happening.

as for the sending of coded messages...its not just the FIA that would hear it but also everyone else watching the broadcast including any number of other teams (former team members) and journos...whether its a radio transmission or a pitboard im curious to know how 'secret' any code used by a F1 team really is?

but it raises the counter argument...if a driver can keep track of all the 'secret' codes then why cant they keep track of their control settings?

anyways, how much of this was just a mental error on the part of the Merc pitwall? a few races ago they were very clear in saying things like, 'we are sorry Lewis we cant tell you that'.

if they were thinking on their feet they would have responded that way again and im fairly certain NR would have figured out on his own to just shift through 7th because he was already there in his thinking.

and this raises another issue...the people on the pitwall are just parroting information from analysts at the back of the garage or from back at their race centre at their HQs.

if this was Brawn with a stopwatch around his neck talking about an evolving strategy with schumi in real time based on observation and experience then i am all for that type of 'driver coaching'.

the scenarios you guys are talking about is the product of conveying to a driver the data of evolving computer simulations (or that is the trend anyways) and that frankly is boring stuff and im pretty happy that they are trying to limit it now rather then waiting for the video game to come out.