View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2000, 09:18 (Ref:36892)   #35
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, Tony Blair says that for every penny taken off tax on petrol, money will be lost from hospitals/schools etc. So what are ALL the other taxes for. We pay income tax, National Insurance, Council Tax, VAT and duty on alcohol/tobacco plus the tax on fuel. Through our purchases we pay for the tax levied by the government on North Sea oil (yes, that's before it gets to the petrol stations) and business rates. Now what I would like to know is, where the f... is this money going?!!! Yes, I know these things have to be paid for - police, emergency services, health etc. But it seems to me there is an INCREDIBLE amount of wastage and overspending. Bureaucrats and spongers gravtating toward the money like cancer cells, choking the whole economy up. For instance, in my home city the council are building a "millenium square" and spending £11m to £15m. There's going to be some nice trees, a few cafe's and two temporary ice rinks. So where the hell is £11m-15m going?!! And that's another point, figures are constantly blurred/fudged so that nobody really has any idea of how much is actually being spent. The millenium Dome is obviously another huge example of this ridiculous spending. If a business were working to this sort of standard then an auditor would be brought in to clamp down on overspending. What does Mr Blair do, just keep upping the charge to his 'customers' (the tax payer).
Basically Mr Blair should start to look at slashing the huge waste that goes on, and we should have more information as to where all our money goes.....this goes much deeper than the price of petrol.
One other thing, didn't the Labour Party come to power on the promise of no tax increases, and didn't they constantly attack the previous Government for 'tax by stealth' - which is exactly what they are now doing. Tony Blair also said that if this government couldn't manage the Dome, then they weren't fit to manage the country........Hmmmmmmmm.