Old 25 Jan 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3016733)   #26
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
smelling pistakeI am 100% against allowing times set on Dunlops to stand. Maybe in an all time lap record list that is OK, but for a list of "current spec" records, you must limit it to Avons.

I'm also still not convinced that some circuits are exactly the same today as they were some years ago. Small changes like resurfacing, more severe / less severe kerbs, greater / lesser run offs must come into play.

As for Oulton Fosters. Raceday programmes have regulary shown the record as Mike Bennett in low 63s', but I recall that the works guys were in the 62s', or even 61s' - I stand to be corrected on this.
Personally, I think that the Dunlops are slower tyres. Therefore, allowing records set on them makes sense as those running Avons should theoretically be able to beat pre-'94 lap times. The biggest difference in Spence's lap at Mallory was probably the spec of his engine - I'd imagine that it was a bit special, just like Magnussen's Foundation Racing motor.

If you can find evidence of a faster Oulton Fosters lap then it will replace the Chadwick lap I currently have listed. My records only back to 2004, so it is likely that someone could have beaten this. Has the Fosters circuit changed dramatically at all?

If changes to kerbing immediately signifies that previous times are null and void then Brands Indy will have a new lap record during it's first race of 2012; the exit kerb at Druids has been widened. In my mind, kerbing changes, resurfacing etc. don't null and void lap records. Changing corners and circuit layouts do. Mallory Park has not changed since the 1960s. I'd imagine kerbs have been replaced, but on the whole they are the same size and shape as previous iterations.

Last edited by barnettracing; 25 Jan 2012 at 12:05. Reason: Grammatical Proofing.