View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2109527)   #53
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Some of you guys will know I uploaded these images before.
But if this about Capris then these are a couple I raced. The white car I drove at Spa 24 hrs with Les Blackburn who'd built it down near at the Blackburn family country Ford dealership near Midhurst. Gorgeous it was and they came up with a novel way of renewing rear brake linings which appeared to involve a complete rear axle assemble removal/refit affair but apparently save so much time that we ended up in 6th place in the 24 hours ahead of some real dynamite. Like Derek Bell in a Waterloo BMW and Gordon Spice Capris.
We'd started this race with the Essex Wire boss who was doing some tri-continent Endurance Driver World Championship series. I think Les started the race and handed over to the yank, who promptly piled it into the armco top of Radion. Into the pits to put it back together, he says 'hey you guys, I'm out of my depth here, you do it; I'll see you in the morning' so we did and it was great. Les knew what he was doing and I'd done a couple of 24 Hrs with Walkinshaw Mazdas, so we had a ball. The Capri in all honesty was quite a bulky thing to man handle around the place but an honest car it was and just ground out the laps without any chat-back. We were pretty shattered by the end, much sustained by Mrs Blackburn’s chocolate cake at 4.00 am as I was.
The picture is from a Euro saloon bash we did at Donington which I recall mainly because it rained early on in my session so I stayed out for what seemed like hours on drys on a wettish circuit. The powerslides out on to the main straight were enormous. I think we came 8th or so. Real good car.
The red Capri was OK YAH with a couple of quick UK production guys as team mates at a Snetterton 24 hrs, and again they knew what they were doing; I had had the previous year in something or other so knew what was needed and again, the Capri well prepared never missed a beat and gave us a fighting 3rd place. I can't remember but was James Weaver 6th at that one? I can remember he was wont to try top outbrake you from 100 yards back; in truth I don't think he had any brakes. Scary sod.
I'm sure i had a go in another white Capri also at Snetterton but it's disappeared in my little frazzled brain ... that was before a win in an M3 with Cox Burtt & Mike Jordan 93.

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Jan 2008 at 13:03.