View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2942501)   #14
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I have seen only 2 Camaro races and I like it too but at the end it stays a single make cup.
BTW they should allow Mustang and Charger bodies.
Actually, that's being discussed within Camaro Cup (allowing Mustang and Challenger bodies). But I don't see the point now with TTA. Camaro Cup is fun to watch with large grids and a lot of different drivers, but the cars do look a bit silly when all plastic come off (which they tend to do in races ). I had a look at the cars that were involved in the "big one" at Karlskoga, and it's not much of a car under that plastic body. (and personally I can't stand plastic silhuette cars, they are just large RC cars) But never mind that when the races are entertainging and attracts large grids.

As for TTA, I like their concept about how to arrange a championship, get the teams involved and how they will work together with the track owners. But I really don't like the cars they'll be using. I haven't heard or read many people in Sweden saying good things about the racing in DTM lately, and it's not even broadcasted on Swedish TV this season. But still, Swedes tend to think that DTM-style cars is God's gift to motorsport and that's what everyone wants to see, and not the "taxi cars" used in STCC today. The TTA car is really what the drivers want to race, and the teams like it since the cars are ready and all they can focus on is setups, no expensive development. Will be interesting to see what the spectators think. It's like "mail-order" racing where you buy, sorry, "lease" or "rent", a car that is turn-key ready. No more new Polestar Racing or Brovallen companies that develops their own cars through racing in TTA. Such new companies have to develop through other disciplines.

No manufacturer has shown any support for TTA so far (officially), and from what I heard in the pits at Karlskoga they still haven't got the rights from any manufacturer to use the silhuettes of Volvo's S60, BMW's 3-Series etc. But TTA said that "the manufacturers haven't closed the door for us, but nothing is confirmed yet". V8 Star, anyone? Unbranded plastic cars with oldschool Nissan V6's is not what I like to see, and then it doesn't matter if Göransson, Rustad or Flash himself is behind the wheel. To be honest, that's the guys you most likely will see in the TTA cars, except new and young talents. Rumors says the Carl-Philip Bernadotte will drive in TTA, but there goes the "elite" from that championship

I feel sorry for the way motorsport on top level in Sweden has taken. And now there's a sandbox "war" between the two parts. It's typically Swedish, once we have a good thing going, our ego will make us think we're bigger and can do things like other, larger series or markets, has failed to do (V8 Star another example) or can do (V8 Supercars, DTM, NASCAR). But in the end we're just a small country in an offside sparsely populated region of the world, with a small market for car manufacturers. Let's just hope things work out in the next couple of years, but with an uncertain financial climate in the coming years, 2 large racing leagues might be too big for tiny Sweden. I really hope I'm wrong and has to eat it up in 2013 or 2014!