View Single Post
Old 24 Aug 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3761376)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ummm ... how about you put the tail lights on the pylons either side of the tail gate in the first place, and leave the tail gate free of tail lights, no second set necessary?
Which would leave a thinner gap for storage, because the tailights are there. The whole point in that design of hatch is it's the largest opening they could possibly do for maximum storage.

Also...it's lights. We're not talking an extreme amount of complication and technology here. If we're talking about pointless tech then I don't understand why extra brake lights are being singled out when we haven't mentioned those directional fog lights which turn on and off when you go round corners.

I'd argue that any safety feature (that includes lane assist) is not unnecessary, it should be a legal requirement. If you have developed technology that will save lives, you should have to put it in the vehicle. There's something questionable about only saving lives of people who pay extra for it. If lane assist stops the idiot who is texting leaving their lane and driving head on into me and my kids, I'm very happy that lane assist is included on his car.

Mike, I like that story. I'm sure there are other examples that can be brought up too. I love cars that become a family workhorse. The car becomes part of the family! But you do have to remember that the reason Japanese cars started becoming popular is because they were different to the usual 60s, 70s and 80s stuff we had in Europe (especially the UK), which all rusted away and was generally a mess. There will always be stand out examples of older cars that were fantastic and could do 200,000 miles.

But now, every car can do 150,000 miles. I have a 56 plate Ford Fiesta. It's a pile of crap by todays standards. It's done 126,000 miles and it's still going. My mum had the 1980s equivelent, it was B reg. It was long dead before 100,000 and included such features as a rusted hole in the floor you could see the road through, and a windscreen which leaked so badly it was like having a shower in the passenger seat.

Cars today are just generally better quality. We sit and complain that certain things are just hassle and a problem, but then we put 200,000 miles on a car and don't think much of it.