Thread: Mini & Beetle
View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2001, 13:17 (Ref:71676)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cheap sentiment, that's all it is.
-Liz

As some one who is cheap, (in both senses of the word) and painfully sentimental, (emphasis on "mental"), I have to say I like 'em both.

I have a new Golf and a Passat, never really really considered a Beetle. However, my sister's friend ran out to order one as soon as they were announced. In her mind she's been marching on Washington for years.

I know that a lot of people are offended by nostalgia, and feel that ressurecting past designs is a pointless exercise. But I suffer from acute nostalgia and I think that at least in the case of VW, they have captured the spirit of the design and made something much better. I really am impressed by the clarity odf the design and find that the interior is superb, (except for that idiotic bud vase)
When I see one on the road, and in Boston and The People's Republic of Cambridge, that's pretty darned frequently,I smile. I genuinely LIKE the way they look. I opted for the Golf because it was more practical and less of a "statement", but I do like the Bugs.

I haven't seen the new Mini yet except for Photos, but I like it as well. It isn't the same car as the original in any way, but it is a pretty neat little package.

As for the cost issue raised by Diabando, nothing is cheap any more and I doubt that the trendsetters would ever beat a path to Kia, Proton or Daewoo and create the mystique that surrounded the great small cars of the 50's nd 60's.