View Single Post
Old 28 Jul 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2734328)   #178
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
But then again, maybe that's why Audi has built and even rallyed the E-Tron.
No way ray...

Based in La sarthe circuit the theoretically maximum capacity offered is (500Kj) 0,138Kw/h between 2 brake phases... contending that there is perhaps 9 times this in a lap, and 12 laps between stops, that will give ~15Kw/h MAXIMUM for those 12 laps.

E-tron II has a 45Kw/h battery pack...

Long story short... even with E-Tron II kind of battery packs it would be needed to replace batteries packs several times during a 24h race... because energy recovery is deficient ( the drivers aid BS)...

OTOH... 0,138Kw/h is 0.187627783 horsepower, that is right, much less than 1 additional horsepower/hour for each long straight in Lemans... makes one wonder if that is of any use for motoring purposes...

OTOH... 2 liter diesel for non hybrids have 37.3*2= 74.6MJ readily availables for each straight if that is the case(between 2 braking zones), which is 149x the case of hybrides... or considering the case of 12 laps, 20.7Kw/h more compared to the theoretical maximum of 15 Kw/h for the case of hybrid energy release.

This is the case i make for saying that ACO doesn't want hybrids... efficient ones that is ( its clear, distorted undue influences again ?)... or else they would make energy release between 2 brake zones FREE (no button, accelerator pedal drive), and battery max energy content 50Kw/h, i.e., more that double of those 2 liters of fuel( diesel=more energetic in the comparative).

And giving FREE release and up to 50Kw/h electric battery packs, would make petrol much more equal to diesels... electric energy would be equal for both.

Its clear. If it were to me, R18 wouldn't be having any hybrid motorization... and energy recovery only for fuel pre-heating, and electric energy generation by exhaust pressure for engine auxiliaries( pumps) electric drive, reducing the engine parasitic loads and augmenting efficiency that way.

Last edited by hcl123; 28 Jul 2010 at 00:28.