View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3794894)   #439
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Aligning with the Australian Production Car Series is exactly what I would do if I had the (in my opinion tough) job of getting TCR off the ground in Australia. Ideally i'd invite the smaller class Production Cars to race with TCR in their own class initially to bulk up the grid while the TCR numbers gradually grow...but in 2018 that might be considered a "bad look"
You'd think they have to align with someone until they get enough cars, if they get enough cars to run as a stand-alone category, which I am skeptical about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
TCR are production based racecars. Inexpensive and reliable!
I'm not really sure that $300k qualifies as inexpensive.

[QUOTE=V8 Fireworks;3794879Of course they would be much faster if they were proper racing cars, but that would defeat the point of them being inexpensive and durable.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How would a pilot go in a total write off shunt like Mr Hazelwood’s last year?
This is always the issue with production based cars, nigh on impossible to make them as safe as you can make a bespoke car, and re-shelling gets expensive at some point too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Ms Preisig in the Opel Astra had a heavy shunt in the ADAC TRC Germany championship at the end of last year. Much time off, new chassis required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnyVfCCb_Xs
I have to admit to being a bit shocked that car was written off and the driver injured, the secondary impact didn't really look that bad at all.

Now, I'm the owner of a Golf GTI and I enjoy watching TCR, but it is a bit of a VAGfest, the cars are not that fast, their engine sound is a bit droney, and I think for close to $300k they are a bit rich.

That said, there are a number of manufacturers in there who could potentially run a car, but at $300k per car who is going to stump up $1m a year to run 2 of these?