View Single Post
Old 17 Feb 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3802006)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not saying Legard was good, but I preferred him to James Allen. James wasn't interested in commentating on the Grand Prix or even F1. It was Formula Jenson and the Grand Lewis. He spent more time talking about the similarities between Lewis and Senna based on the type of yellow on their helmets than the actual race. As a radio commentator and pit lane reporter, he was generally ok and unoffensive. In the pits he had a very specific job to do, and he'd go and do it and do it well. When left to his own devices in the commentary box he was embarrassing.

The only person close to Allen was Ant Davidson. His first few times commentating all he wanted to do was pimp himself out and talk about how great he was. Even when Jenson won his first Grand Prix at Hungaroring, Davidson turned that into "I can't believe I was the one who commentated on this". Aye Ant, because that's the achievement today.

Legard was a step up from the absolute nonsense that was the ITV production. He was by no means good, but it at least became professional. Croft raised the bar once again. He has his moments of error or annoyance, but so does every commentator. I'm a HUGE fan of Radio Le Mans/Radio Show Limited/IMSA Radio and even they have their moments that I don't agree with. So when it comes to Croft, I personally take the stance of 'cut him some slack', because he's much better than anything we've had for a good 15 years or so.