View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2017, 21:48 (Ref:3752270)   #228
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'm not too sure about that. With the advent of electric and driver-less cars, motorsport will be faced with the biggest challenge in its history and one that might very well kill it off for good. If motorsport is to survive this challenge they need to transform themselves into something quite different from what it is today - roadgoing relevance will not be a factor anymore since roadcars will be just so different from racecars.

I think the role model for racing should be horseback riding (esp. show jumping) and sailing. Like racing, both are sports that are based on a means of transport and both managed to survive when that means of transport fell out of mainstream usage by styling themselves as an upscale gentlemen's sport. And just like nobody would think to base America's Cup boat specs on Windjammers or would use anything less than the most specialized breed of horse for show jumping, I don't think racing cars in the future will be influenced by today's family cars.
happily accept that thought pattern.

However they wont be open wheelers. Already we are seeing our top categories looking at ways to protect the driver from airbourne objects. and this will include a covering in the future