View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3761086)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It starts as fun. My kart team grew out of running my son in TKM and I have a background of 30+ years in car racing and am an ARKS tester so have a head start. I started out with the intention of helping people get from indoor karting to 2-stroke, but these things have a habit of growing and I now have a lorry, a race camper, 3 trailers and 100sq m of awning. Hopefully I'll make some money for me soon!

It starts out fun. But winning means more than being on the podium. As the drivers improve they want to be 25th not 30th, that's a "win" to them. That takes commitment from you as well as them.

I don't rent karts for racing. Then we don't have the "why aren't I winning" - "because you're not paying me enough" conversation. If they're not winning I send them out to buy new equipment!

I know my place as a starter team but even so there's pressure to move forwards. We've got a little bit of success and it does help. I take it as a personal failure if we have a mechanical problem, my customers come from an A&D background and don't understand "**it happens" when you show a kart a race track. You need to make things bullet proof. What happens if they paid a few hundred pounds and the wheel falls off on the first lap and they don't get a drive? Accident damage? Does that scratch on the wing constitute damage and warrant a new panel? The driver doesn't worry about a tiny dent, but it makes the car look scruffy and can put off a new customer.

Get this clear from the outset and you'll have no problems when it happens. Be open as to what the potential costs are, motor racing is expensive and you car investment is far more than mine. I'd want to know SuperStar Fred can afford to replace my car when he totals it against a marshals' post. Make him pay the insurance - and it he can't afford that, he can't afford to mess with your livelihood.

There's a lot involved. Even just sharing your car can be very stressful!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk