View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2001, 18:39 (Ref:73073)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, there will never be another driver like Ayrton Senna. I remember May 1st 1994 like it was yesterday, and I also remember my utter disbelief and disgust when the best driver in the world was taken from us in such an unfair manner. His name will surely live forever, and he will always live in our hearts.

According to reports, Senna had allegedly said before the race: "I fear that there will be an accident. Let's hope it won't be too serious." Whether that statement was down to having a sixth sense about what was going to happen, or just a natural reaction after what had happened to Roland Ratzenberger the day before, I don't know. That will only be speculation.

Regarding the Williams team, I have never blamed them for what happened. The modification to the steering was done at Senna's request, as stated above, and why would the Williams team want to knowingly do anything that they had the slightest idea could possibly take the life of the driver they had hired to win the championship for them? I've just never bought those "conspiracy" theories surrounding this.

Regarding Frank Williams' feelings concerning Senna, all you've got to do is think of these words he said (I heard him say it in an interview) when Damon and Jacques had wrapped up the 1996 constructors title, and the interviewer asked Frank if he wanted to dedicate this title to anyone in particular (remember this was 2 1/2 years after Senna died):

"You've got to think of Ayrton Senna at all times like these, haven't you."