View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2551147)   #182
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello peter,
thanks for your action shot, at moment i am collecting some from the web, including yours now.
The Marcos Fastback is the last modell, before the Volvo engined 1800 gt came in 1964.
Only 18 Fastback GT were built in 1963 and nearly all became racers, as they were very competitive in their class. engines were the ford anglia 1000 and cortina 1500 units, chassis was of course the fantastic plywood monocoque, at this modell even a more radical layout with no metal-subframes from front to rear. My Fastbacks/Gullwing still have their first chassis, never been restored or changed, so nobody should think , metal is a better choice for quality.
The Fastback Marcos was internationally homologated as GT already in 1963, as factory raced this modell outside uk in international long-distance-events.
Unfortunately there are only some few survivors, spread all over the world, at moment race-going prepared are only chassis 3012 (goodwood-car) and chassis 3018 (the ex Jem Marsh car), which had the pleasure to bring it to the big Marcos 50th anniversary at Prescott-Hill only 3 weeks before the Goodwood -adventure, first time for this one to get british tarmac under its wheels for 2 decades.

With the success of some 1800 gt cars in historic racing, the real racing career of its precessor modells seems to be neglected and forgotten in the uk, especially in contrast to the fact, that the well known 1800 gt never was internationally homolated in its period.
A pity is also : no Marcos Fastback is left in the UK, although this modell was so excessive and successfully raced there in the mid- 1960ies.
So i was astonished, to meet some nice grey haired men at the Goodwood paddock, thanking me for bringing back some memories with 3012.