View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2007, 19:08 (Ref:1808982)   #41
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think success is when you achieve what you set out to do. If that is the case for Open GT and GT3, and it seems that way, then everything's great for them.

But if the FIA GT set out to be an quasi-endurance racing series and then has to compromise along the way to a shorter format, then it is not a success anymore. The new format might be more successful in terms of retaining teams and a following and perhaps securing better TV deals than without a change, but at the same time it is not the FIA GT anymore. The question is how much something can be compromised before it loses it initial and intended identity.
I'm less inclined to attend and follow the new FIA GT (except a visit to Spa), while I'm planning to attend the LMS events at Spa and Nürburgring

On a side note, I wish GT3 had proper TV coverage. I'd love to see the races in full with pit coverage and pre-race shows. In my opinion GT3 is one of the most exciting things to happen in a while (even if it's currently at risk to become somewhat of a corporate victim), as I immediately stated on RSC on several occasions as soon as the series was announced, and find the lack of pan-european coverage rather disappointing.