View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1826064)   #26
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R
As for 1988, i didnt think the car was still being used then? All the information i have with the car, scrutineering stickers etc.. show only upto september 1987. Unfortunatly i do not have the race log book for the car, it was with the car but the previous owner lost it and has since believed to have been burnt
I've just dug out some Autosports and can confirm Barbara Cowell in the car in 1988- in the report for Round 9 at Snetterton at the end of July 88, your car appears in a photo with Andrew Jeffrey's Golf and John Llewellyn's Corolla- the caption is 'Jeffrey, Cowell (74) and Llewellyn head for the Bombhole'

From the report, Barbara briefly led the class on the first lap, but retired with engine problems on the same lap. This is the race best known for Mike Smith getting invoved in a shunt on lap 1, then rejoining 3 laps down, now running slicks on a drying track, and nicking the point for fastest lap from BMW team-mate Sytner- Frank famously wasn't amused....

From the notes I've got, she also appeared at:

Round 8- Brands (the support race at the Group C meeting, best known for the Rouse/Soper battle for the lead)- finished 19th and 2nd in class behind Dowsett's Corolla

Round 9- Snetterton, retired, as mentioned above

'Round 11'- Birmingham- the race that never was... Didn't qualify

and the final round at Silverstone- 18th overall, 5th in class D

There might have been more appearances- I've got a few races missing from my notes for 88

Last edited by KA; 25 Jan 2007 at 22:53.