View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3711221)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
firstly, you've picked some great events to go to

it's very very difficult indeed to get to spa and around the local area without a car. i would second jd media's suggestion of hiring a car. i can recommend avis/budget or europcar, both are straightforward with their charges and don't try and charge you for fuel or anything unless you don't return the car full. hertz are also good, but i'd suggest to stay away from firefly and goldcar because they have lots of additional charges that can easily catch you out. a lot of the main railway stations have car hire facilities, so you may not need to go to an airport to collect your car. there aren't any road tolls to pay in belgium, so you'll only need to pay for the petrol. brussels airport to spa is quite a straightforward drive, it'll take you maybe 90mins.

your recommendation to stay in nice for the monaco eprix is completely correct - the train takes around half an hour from nice-ville station and it's a stunning journey. be careful to check any potential accomodation on google streetview before you book though - some areas of nice aren't particularly pleasant for a solo traveller. depending on when the race is happening, cannes and antibes are options, or menton in the other direction towards the italian border. cannes is about an hour away, and there's two trains an hour. the only thing to be aware of with the trains is that they stop quite early in the evening, at about 10pm or something similar, so always check before you make plans!

amsterdam to spa... you can get a train from amsterdam to brussels central and then a train to the airport where you can hire a car, or there is a couple of stations reasonably close to spa but no less than a 30€ taxi ride away, i'd say. taxis outside the city in europe are painfully expensive, even when you negotiate on the rate when you book.

if you fly to nice, there is a train station (nice st. augustin) is about a 10-15 minute walk away from terminal 1, or from terminal 2 get the shuttle bus over to t1 and walk from there. a taxi in france is REALLY expensive (they quoted me €30 from nice railway station to the airport once, it's a 30 minute walk...), so try and avoid relying on those! there's also buses from the airport into the centre, so there's plenty of options. otherwise the main station is right in the centre of town