View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2024, 14:53 (Ref:4192574)   #13
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Nobody is going to pay to advertise a boring grocery getter that isn't even a volume seller anymore.

People do however pay money to promote their brand via aspirational cars like the Mustang and Camaro because people ASPIRE to own them.
You'd be surprised how many people aspire to own mildly souped-up grocery getters like the Volkswagen Golf R or Audi A3 RS3, even though they aren't that interesting.

[The Hyundai i30 N sedan is also proving popular for its value for money among (largely) new members to the club of Hyundai enthusiasts.]

TBH I don't think cars like the Mustang or Camaro are on the radar of VW Audi enthusiasts, nor necessarily to Hyundai enthusiasts buying i30 Ns either. The Audi RS5 was probably the closest thing in the VW Audi space back when that had a V8, but that was years ago. Hyundai used to have a Genesis V6 coupe which was similar to a V6 Mustang or V6 Camaro, but this was never offered in Australia.

In any case, the old Mustang Shelby GT350R was lovely, but I have no interest in the new Mustang GT as there is no steering feel and the suspension is too soft (much like the aforementioned Golf R and Audi RS3). It would be nice if Ford would bring out more of a honed version again and less of a cruiser, but we need to wait and see on that I guess.

Steering feel and handling was something that Chevrolet definitely got right on the Camaro. If only Ford would let the engineers have final say like Chevrolet do, instead of giving priority to requests for "less steering effort" and "a softer ride" from customer focus groups! But then the Camaro didn't have the rental car market like the Mustang did and still does, so that's why it doesn't exist anymore (aside from possible buyers who were also put off by the claustrophobic cabin styling).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 20 Jan 2024 at 15:08.