View Single Post
Old 18 Dec 2007, 23:06 (Ref:2091635)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello C2T and welcome to the board!

A motorcycle track? Don't modern motorcycle tracks always have these large air-filled cushions in front of the walls at the end of the runoff?

I think you can't build the track IRL without the help of an architect, because they are the people who know what information a construction plan must include. I'm not intending to discriminate anyone, but it's somewhat risky to let builders improvise. The architect is their choreographer, and this is something with which us armchair enthusiasts cannot help you.

But regarding the design of the track's overall blot shape and corner shapes, we surely do have lots of ideas.

As opposed to my fellow track designers, I still draw mine on paper, well, mainly because I can draw with a pen but not with a mouse. Additionally, on paper you can see the scales better. Using chequered paper should help you and the architect later on.

Before you start drawing sketches, I'd look at the piece of land that you have available. Try to memorize its changes in altitude, or go there and draw your sketches right there. A track is a three-dimensional object, which is something that armchair enthusiasts including me sometimes tend to forget. I usually come up with the altitude changes after I've already completed the track design, but you can't do that in real life.

Then, there are different genres of tracks you can choose from. I guess you've already decided for a mixture of a kart track and a national/club circuit. With that in mind, I guess the biggest challenge might be to avoid it becoming a Mickey Mouse circuit.

Good luck with your project.