View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2007, 20:01 (Ref:2092193)   #15
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chest2Tank:

I studied for two years to be an architect, which would probably make me the most qualified of any of the contributors here to comment on the subject. Granted, I found out at the end of those two years that I enjoy observing architecture more than designing it, that I enjoy sleep more than slaving away in studio for three days straight without food or rest trying to configure a public bathroom, and that architecture destroys one's ambitions enough to send him fleeing away to an easy degree in communications than to not give up on his lifelong dream, but that's all water under the bridge.

Let me tell you, though, that if this is something that you really want you to pursue, you have to know one thing. In real-life design, the most important factor above all others is the site you have to work with. For most of what you see in this forum, the site is whatever we make it, so there are few constraints in the designs. In real-life, though, none of the advice that we can give is practical until there is land to put those ideas and principles to good use.

So my question to you would be, "Do you know where you are going to build this track?" If you have a location in mind, the first step in the process is to do some extensive surveying. Find out exactly what there is to work with: the borders of the property, the topography of the land, how much earthworks can be done considering the soil levels and water table. As long as you know the dimensions of the property, you can make some preliminary sketches on what you want the layout of the track to look like, but you must know all of the characteristics of the land before you can make any final decisions.