View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2000, 22:09 (Ref:22324)   #7
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll second that - diesel on the road.

Last year, coming back from Snetterton, I managed to spin my Vauxhall Corsa on a roundabout near Lakenheath air base.

Entering the roundabout was not a problem, and then I had the horrible sensation of understeer (front wheels wanting to go straight on, instead of in the direction they are pointing). I shall never forget the look on the face of the Sierra driver I was heading towards. I managed to straighten up, re-steer and boot the accelerator (front wheel drive car, automatic gearbox leaves you VERY few options in that situation) and the wheels bit, so I missed the Sierra, but now found myself fishtailing the other way.

I caught that one, and then the damned front wheels found more grip, and flicked me back around, and this time I found the back overtaking me. I found myself sideways on down the road exit I had originally wanted. Fortunately, in all that, I hadn't hit anything. Once stationary, I discovered a Lotus Europa which had spun right around and found the central barrier, and a Renault 5 Le Car which had wiped its front end off.

And all because of some wally who filled his van up with too much fuel oil.

Yes, diesel on the road is evil.