View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2000, 20:14 (Ref:22454)   #12
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have much of the same problems here in the states.

When I lived in Florida, every spring we would get a similar version of the May Flies that everyone called the Love Bugs. These small mosquito like insects would fly about mating, with the back ends hooked together like some perverse circus act, in clouds so dense that they could immediately clog your windshield. The roads would also get slick from the slime left over from the billions of them that died during this time.

The highway engineers in Oklahoma must not actually drive themselves anywhere. Every single access ramp to a major highway usually circles about. Instead of the radius beginning sharp and becoming looser to allow a car to accelerate and merge on to the highway they operate in reverse. The curve becomes so tight that one can usually only enter the 75mph traffic at around 40mph if you are pushing it. Being that our highways are clogged with incompetent drivers in massive 3 ton sport-utes that will never handle, they enter the highway at around 20mph.

There are many country roads near Tulsa that beg for me to push the envelope, but the area is hilly enough that prudence comes into play. After all, no one wants to come around a bend or hill only to find a horse and buggy driving Mennonite in the road and get everyone killed in the process.
Still, there are a few gravel access roads near the navigational channel that are tons of fun to drift around on. My Dodge Dakota has the optional sport suspension package and the tires are wide and soft and it makes for good fun.