View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3016749)   #30
Nick Hewitt
Rookie

Nick Hewitt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fastest lap I ever did at Mallory was unofficial as it was a test day in Feb 04 , it was 47.8 on Avons , The fastest official lap I ever did was a pole time of 48.1 , also in 04, so the times set in 1992 were totally representative and therefore realistically achievable.
The times at Mallory have been all over the place for some time now , even with the new surface , there doesn't seem to be a definitive benchmark , I reckon anywhere from 1990 -2005/2006 were more a fair reflection timewise , to be quick at Mallory throughout that era you needed to be minimum of 48.5 and below , regardless of tyres (Dunlops were better in quite a few respects though , notably longevity !)
The lap records that were set , whenever they were set , on whatever tyres they were set should stand , forget all this current convoluted class structure , thats total ****** , the person who has set the quickest lap overall at any given circuit should be the one who has the privilege of holding the Lap Record , Period.