View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3815812)   #238
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
GT3 cars have much more downforce, braking and handling. TA1 cars have lots more straight line speed. You'd never be able to balance them correctly without both of them seeing major changes.
It's more possible than you think. Disabling the driver aids on a GT3 car would in and of itself slow those cars by over a second at most tracks. The ABS alone would cost them a full second.

Quote:
SCCA has tried to put GT3 cars in GT1 and it doesn't work. I the end TA1 prevails due to the straight line speed and then holding up a GT3 car in the corners.
I'm not aware of any FIA GT3 cars running in SCCA GT1. I recall a Lamborghini Super Trofeo car running at the Runoffs in the past couple years, but that's not actually an FIA GT3 car. I was under the impression that FIA GT3 cars are not legal in SCCA GT1.

When the ALMS ran a combined LMP1/LMP2 class, they had a very similar situation. The P1 cars were faster in a straight line, but the P2 cars outcornered them. The result was actually some quite entertaining battles, with the quick-cornering LMP2 cars generally coming out on top. It didn't help that the sole competitive P1 was Intersport, which tended to not be able to last, but even then they were in most cases being beaten on the track before they collapsed.

So if you could get them running similar lap times, a TA1/GT3 class could produce an interesting show.

Quote:
Plus, crash a GT3 car, it'll cost you 10X more to fix as compared to a TA1 car.
Thus why GT3 in TransAm is far less viable than TA1 in PWC. If you want to increase car counts you add the LESS expensive car, not the MORE expensive car. :P