View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2016, 17:12 (Ref:3684049)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Financial. Only one team/manufacturer (i.e the winning one) will have a ROI that is profitable. All other teams will be shut down by their boards when they spend more money then what it returns cause they arent winning.

TCR is called the first BOP regulations in Touringcar racing as it mirrors the framework of GT3. But if you look historicly I'd say BOP has been the base of all majour Touringcar regulations for the last 30 years. Take S2000, there we had BOP between RWD (BMW) against turbodiesel (SEAT) against petrol FWD (Chevy). It worked cause all 3 manufacturers where being BOPed to the same performance, eventough one might have been underdeveloped, they just adjusted BOP and everyone was winning and happy.
Same in the ST years in the 90s, you had BOP between RWD (BMW), 4WD (Audi) vs everyone else. The whole game for everyone else was always to be the fastest FWD car, cause that way you were always going to be BOPed to the same level as BMW and Audi. Later TOCA and FIA took it one step further and to balance every FWD car they gave special technincal permissions to each team, in an attempt to balance all FWD cars. This is where it all went south cause to do all those special masterpeices cost huge sums of money.

It was all just BOP anyway. Difference is now its much easier to make BOP adjustments wherever they see fit and everyone know NOT to spend huge piles of money on something cause you WILL get BOPed to the same level as everyone else. So why have a technincal regulation with expensive fuel flow equipment and "free" development when all it does is cost money?
All fair points. I appreciate the post.