View Single Post
Old 14 Jan 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1200397)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there is room for 50. They built two extra temporary garages one year I think for something.
From what I gather, traffic is an issue as it is. I was watching my Le Mans 2004 DVD that I got for Xmas, and apparently the closing speed of the prototypes on the GT class cars is around 100mph going into the Dunlop Chicane, as the prototypes arrive at a higher speed, as well as being able to hold on a hell of a lot longer into the long right before hitting the brakes for the chicane.
As for changes to the circuit, I'd make none. Not even remove the mulsannes chicanes. I actually quite like them. By chicane standards they're fast, 3rd gear I think, which is perhaps 4th or even 5th in an F1 car. And when you think of the problems associated with Mulsanne's corner for instance. The 'escape' road there leads to a roundabout on a public road. And there's next to no run-off.
I can sort of see why there are two chicanes and not one. The obvious place to put a chicane is at the second chicane location. But the problem then is you can't create proper run-off for those either, so still having a 240mph run into a tricky chicane, especially at night and with the huge difference in speeds, the need for having another chicane to further split the straight, becomes apparent.