View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3507652)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why is the choice of new cars so rubbish?

While I know what you mean, there is oddly more choice than ever due to the current method of platform sharing. Every conceivable version is made on a platform whether they are wanted or not.
Take the Mini as your example. And you bought one, a convertible, there is no hope for you

Having said that I do know what you mean. What grabs you as fun nowadays? Not a great deal.
They are all very big. The lightweight materials has had an impact, but it has only partially offset the size increase due to safety measures and customer demand. The cars are starting to stay the same size and the weight savings are benefiting fuel and performance.

I drove a Fiesta with the ecoboost engine and liked it. It was good fun. You're right it is now old Focus size. Indeed we drove it as a potential replacement for an old Focus.

What about a Panda, the thinking man's 500? Sorry, I sound like James May. Unless, of course you need the 500C

On the smart I drove a couple of prototypes of this at Daimler's test track. If you are driving in town it'll be a hoot, the turning circle of the new car is incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
GT86?
I went for this. Wow. I can fully recommend it. There are some good offers out there at the moment. For some reason it doesn't look like it is a big seller despite the reviews being so positive and correct! It does feel like it is a car built ten years ago, but as a drivers car it is spot on.

It seems the market doesn't care about driving, it cares about random niches, heavy toys and massive stupid wheels.
Not surprisingly you're in the minority.
However happy choosing, let us know what you go for.