View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1203338)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they need to focus on what CC does well. That should be providing really entertaining racing, period. Other businesses focus on their core competancies, this is CCs strength and it's been weaker lately. Do whatever it takes to make that happen. Push to pass has been one of the few moves in that direction in the last couple of years.

When the new CC forumla is introduced they need to be thinking, "what can we do to make this work?" The racing needs to be very close but somehow they need to have lots of passing. That means they need to be designed in a manner that produces similar lap times, promotes passing but costs a lot less. They need to think how can we introduce non-artificial variables that will allow for temporary advantages/disadvantages that will facilitate changes order, preferably through the design of the cars, tires, etc. How do we eliminate people running at 95% to be conservative to save fuel? Lower budget teams need to be able to compete. Money should be spent on important things like drivers, not on technical stuff.

I don't want to cause a fight and I always find myself harping on this point, but what makes OW different from Nascar and particularly Nascar restrictor plate racing if they run on an oval side by side for 250 laps? OW is about being nimble and thus more exicting and the drivers using that to do more exciting things. This is what OW does well and it should be carefully preserved, not sold out otherwise there is no place for it in the market because Nascar has that covered. Even if you like that kind of racing, surely you can see my point?

Other strengths are creating events. I agree that the traveling show thing should not be the emphasis of everything, but look at the model in Canada. It's created a lot of fans. People view it as special that a big series comes and races in Canada and that Canadian drivers are there. Take a look at the number of Canadian members on this forum. You cannot tell me that this stratagy does not have its place. CC practically invented this model, it's another core competancy. I'm not convinced that it must be a cookie cutter street race and that it can't be done with a road course.

One problem is that it's a big money sport and to try new ideas costs money, particularly the ones that could potentially revolutionize things. If we don't want street races or we want network TV coverage, these are things that may fall flat. Trying radical things with bags of money has been done before and that's part of why the series went bankrupt after 2003 instead of getting in another season or two before the money ran out.

Last edited by Snrub; 17 Jan 2005 at 23:06.