View Single Post
Old 14 Jan 2004, 11:19 (Ref:837744)   #27
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok, this wing thing is actually not a big deal, a) cause its testing and b) the new ('04) wings are theoretically faster anyway...

As found in Autosport tomorrow..... (Firstveiw's great)
Quote:
New Rules push up speeds: Formula 1's new-for-2004 bodywork regulations have improved the car' performance, even though they were brought in only as a means of boosting the visibility of sponser logos.
with reference to how i feel over the he second part of that quote, look at the "airboxs and wing regs" thread i started.
Quote:
Jaguar revealed last week that the rear wing and engine cover modifications have decreased donwforce by 3% but improved drag by an impressive 4.3%. This means the overall performance of the car has been theoretically improved.
This will be explained in two ways.
1) downforce reduction due to two elements instead of 3, as three can produce more downforce for a given drag level.
2) Larger endplates, while themselves producing more drag due to their size, are much more effective at producing downforce for a given wing width than a smaller plate. (This has also been discused in the Sportscar and GT forum, of the Audi R8's much copied endplates). Basically, for a given wing width, a larger endplate will produce more downforce, allowing a smaller wing setting to be used, and hence even less drag.

So in my veiw, Mclaren still have more to come....

Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 14 Jan 2004 at 11:20.