Thread: DTM DTM 2016
View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3605673)   #31
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Totally disagree. Tin-tops have been the kings of European national racing since forever. I can't think of a single national open wheel series that ever became more than just a feeder to F1.

Now, DTM are pretty bad as far as tin-tops are concerned, but I see absolutely no chance for a successful switch to formula-style cars. (Not the least because of how big Audi and BMW seem to be on road-relevance).
Yes they have been kings since forever. And have had massive financial support from OEM's. And how many have become popular with the general audience (which was my point)?

The closest two are DTM and BTCC, and i believe BTCC is the only one that is really ''succesfull' on its own power. DTM to me is just the result of the 3 oems throwing massive money in it.

I fully believe if these 3 would throw the same kind of money and promotion on a high powered open wheel serie (kind of like super formula or GP2) that this would get much higher attention.

Having said that, your last sentence is indeed true, i don't believe for a second that it will ever chance to a formula class because the oems don't want that.