View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3755552)   #54
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Prototype International based on P-2 chassis (with maybe a couple more constructors added building to the P-2 spec for P-I only) with an OEM option for engines with aero/body kits. Maybe even some Tuner and Team aero/body re-homologations, but all within a tight box with BoP added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Man, the FIA and ACO being slow to adapt after Porsche announced their departure is downright stupid and depressing at the same time.

They should have adapted the DPi ruleset unless they have plans for those LMP1 privateer teams.
possible the egos are too big and the necks too stiff for FIA to take the best route forward ... wouldn't that be too close to admitting they don't have all the best ideas and aren't right all the time?

it seems obvious that a ruleset based on DPi ... P2 or bespoke chassis (for those manufacturers who want to build them) and some provision so factories and tuners/specialty houses/ maybe even team conglomerates could participate ... let privateers in if they think they can afford it .... Have say, three homologation periods: one ends after the first race (build what you want, test it, race it once, make your mods and it is sealed) and the other two throughout the season ... so teams can also test their high- and low downforce kits.

Limiting development by time instead of money hopefully will keep a lid on costs---teams will focus on a few areas and upgrade and test thoroughly instead of always having new stuff all the time---not sure how to control costs but I cannot see open development and I cannot see no development all season long.

The benefit of having shared rulesets across nations is evident in P2: factories can sell the same cars to different series. if DPi could be included in or at least very close to P1 (obviously the tire differences alone would ensure that the FIA cars were faster, which I am sure they would demand) then factories might be willing to examine multiple programs ... I am sure FIA doesn't want to see Cadillac winning Le mans, but I am pretty sure they don't want to see Toyota being the only car in class and driving all night at 70 percent just to survive, and then racing the P2 teams for the overall the next day.