View Single Post
Old 24 Nov 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1162632)   #14
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Production car engines have come along way now and i can't see that being the best alternative for the IRL.

IMHO a prodution car engine will still be expensive to run and i think it will be a bad step for the IRL.

Why?

Because a modern hi tech prodution based engine might not have the durability to last a 500 mile race at over 200 mph let alone the whole weekend.

The goal for any series these days to to have long life engines that can last at least 2 race weekends. So there is no way i can see a production based engine doing that since you have to get at least double the HP out of it to make it run over 200 MPH flat out.

You also have to remember that an IRL engine needs to be small, light and have alot of stiffness incorperated into the engine since the engine block is a stressed member so you don't want to have extra tubing running around the engine which will add to both weight and drag.

So i agree with mountianstar, it will better off using a purpose built racing engine that detuned slightly to give it some durability along the line of what CART first did to cut costs.