View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3787086)   #3
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It looks like the removal of Grid Girls is being considered as a future change to the sport....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42346331
The article does a pretty good job of summing up the issues with grid girls.

The times, they are a changin!

About a year or so ago, my local car club had a knock-down-drag-out online fight about grid girls. Our award ceremonies are generally just a bunch of people standing around as someone reads the results at the end of the event! But at larger events in the past we had some podium girls. If I remember correctly it was an anniversary year for us, so people were posting photos from older events on our Facebook page. Photos which included podium girls.

That triggered a furor of condemnation by a segment of our members in that they felt the photos were inappropriate and that the usage of the models was wrong. The fight within our club that lasted for many days. I believe positions on the topic had a strong correlation to the age of the individual.

While that was awhile back, we also have here in the US (to be honest, I don't have a good view as to how much of this is playing out globally) the watershed "#MeToo" moment. So anything that smacks of misogyny is a hot potato right now. And for some grid girls could be the poster child for that.

Given F1 is a world series, and that views globally on what is "acceptable" are probably all over the place, I think no single answer is going to satisfy everyone for sure! With that said... I expect the days of grid girls are numbered regardless of your individual opinion on the topic.

Richard