View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3826922)   #1305
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Bonjour Gerard,

Paint is very expensive in France compared with UK, but I think Belgium is even more expensive than France, but then Belgium is generally expensive for everything - it's even 70 centimes to pee now!! So yes, it is generally better to buy paint etc in GB, especially if you live close to the Channel. You have to be a bit careful how much you bring though: I know someone who brought quite a lot in a van & when checked at Dover was warned he should have registered it as a hazardous load, or whatever.
Paint is really expensive in Belgium, whenever I think I should redecorate I end up with a load in the car on the way back from the UK - not only is it nearly half the price you can sometimes benefit from offers for buying more than one pot.

Classic engine oil is also more expensive I just bought some running in oil for 25 quid that is 50 euros here, finding someone who will ship it (road only) is a problem though.

Annoyingly I'm just off to spend 30 odd euros on a tin of paint that would cost about 15 quid in the UK...

But more expensive items tend to be cheaper - apparently one of the Varley type battery sellers in the UK was buying them from Belgium, which probably meant it went from the UK to Belgium and back again and became cheaper!

Quality stuff (electronics, cars, household appliances etc.) tends to be cheaper, probably because they tend to buy them rather than cheaper brands.

Most the motorway services give you a ticket for your 50 cent wee that you can exchange for something in the shop if you remember it! Of course the professionals just use the bushes...