Thread: Tech Issue Pirelli-The Tyre Story..
View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3209595)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It's a shame really. When we had a tyre war there was minimal chat about them really, other than the odd "this temperature/track suits Michelin/Bridgestone/Goodyear" more.
I can't remember a season when there wasn't talk about tyres. B and C compounds. Pirelli this, or Michelin that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Much worse than having one supplier making spastic tyres that nobody likes, fronted by a massive dweeb and endless, season-long talk about how cack the new compounds will be/are. Apparently.
I don't think that anyone has actually complained about Pirelli's tyres. At least the teams and drivers know that they have something that isn't worse, or better than anyone else has. They will also be pleased about the fact that the tyres aren't going to fail because one manufacturer pushed the tyres limits too far (Indy 2005).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Well the problem I have at the moment David is, are the tyres that the teams tested at the end of last year, the same tyres that they are now testing with and are going to race with ?
I think that most of the teams now know what they are dealing with in terms of tyres. The tyres certainly seem to have a wider operating window than they did last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I think it very very clever that Pirelli can make these changes it seems without too much of an issue, it's the constant tweaking that bothers me for a number of reasons..
As long as the teams are aware of any 'tweaking', then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

When there was a tyre war, tyres were often constantly tweaked in favour of one team (Ferrari did huge mileages when testing Bridgestone tyre compounds) and the other teams using the same brand of tyres were often kept in the dark about any alterations made to the tyres, resulting in their cars having handling characteristics that changed dramatically from race to race. Either that, or they were given tyres that weren't as good as the latest update.