View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2017, 01:27 (Ref:3718284)   #14
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GHOGH - since you are the OP I guess you're the best person to ask.
When you reference 'Premier Race Category', what does that mean to you?

Are you talking about 'a really good race meeting to attend', or a meeting that showcases the highest level of achievement in the sport and worthy of a Championship title at the end of it?

I'm not trolling, I'm just not sure where your posts are aiming.

The traditional format in terms of championship classes has been:
* A starter single-seater category (Currently FF)
* A bigger, faster singer seater category useful as a stepping stone to the big world (currently TRS)
* An entry level one make series (Think Mini's, Suzuki Swift currently Saang-Yong)
* A bigger, faster one make series (Think GT3, currently TR86 I guess)
* A big, fast, noisy saloon class (Currently V8 Touring what-evers)

This has always been (loosely) the structure. In any given year you can normally fit everything into this format give or take the odd extra saloon class or two
It provides a framework whereby, in theory, ability can be recognised and developed.
Interest and participation in the various classes ebbs and flows with the state of the economy; this is money-sport after all :-)

Given the amount of NZ talent on the world stage, you'd have to admit that despite everything, we are doing something right.

Simply wishing for different classes won't necessarily achieve much.
A faster single seater than TRS? I don't think you're paying attention to how efficient they already are!

Production based saloons? Sorry to tell you but to build a proper fast one these days would cost more than a purpose built car. The people who really know what they're doing would produce rocket ships and the rest would flounder around the back and lose heart.
There is too much knowledge out there in the world now. That genie won't go back in the bottle.

The competitors that turn up year after year are the sport's greatest asset.

There has to be buy-in from the people who need to produce the $$$ to invest in new machinery.

Everyone is excited about the whole GT thing at the moment but that could all blow up pretty quickly. Every year someone spends large to get a leg up.
Is the economy strong enough to support that?
I don't think so. You're seeing a good size 'ego' spend at present but the point will come when the cheque books get thrown in the different direction.
Buying a 500K car and finding 3 years later it is uncompetitive is a bitter pill.

Look, big grids can make average racing look good.
A small grid with a spectacular battle is worth the price of admission.
Do we want to buy into the FIA idea of ever chasing down the technology rabbit hole?

I think not.
We are very fortunate to have multiple race tracks and an easy pathway into the sport
We need classes that provide best cost per lap for performance by level.

To get good racing, champion the correct attitudes to work on your own efforts. Keep everything simple.

People, knowledge, organisation. Stop wasting your precious resources ($$ and time)
Stop with the accusations of cheating and start working smarter yourself.

And when you win something, you'll know you earned it

But spread the love a little. Beating the opposition can be zero sum and soon there is no-one to left to race. Encourage the other competitors.
Its quite a juggling act.