pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Except that's clearly untrue.
They only use about half of the cameras for qualifying, and if you've ever been in the paddock or pits on a Saturday evening, you can see them still setting up and testing things.

My guess is that Saturday is a set-up day, with a skeleton crew, and they interrupt their set-up schedule to film qualifying because they need to make a qualifying report the following day. Being able to put it online is a bonus.
If that's the case, then it just highlights how poor the situation is. Most remotely high-level series have full coverage on Saturday and Sunday, sometimes Friday as well. There's no reason (other than the coverage being produced on the cheap, I suppose) for the TV equipment being set up that late.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the BTCC is the big show. That's what people are tuning in for.
Yes it is, but the support series still deserve coverage. There are quite a few events each year where F4 only have one of their three races televised, compared to Germany, Italy and Japan where it's possible to watch every race live. It's appalling, really. No wonder there are hardly any cars in it (yes, I'm aware there are other reasons).

Quote:
Or you can watch them in full, online, the following day.
OK, I've just checked and you can. Until last year, ITV uploaded the races to their site in the exact format in which they were originally shown on the Sunday broadcast. They should be shown on the TV broadcast anyway, but I suppose repeats of The Sweeney are more important.